Best Pizza in Alaska

OK, OK, I know you’ve read the title and are saying, “The guy takes a 2-week trip to Alaska — the largest state in the nation — and he has the balls to declare a restaurant as having the best pizza in the land of the midnight sun???”

Yes I do.

Finn’s Pizza in Homer, Alaska is as good as any pizza I’ve had outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn.  No, I’ve not had any New Haven pizza, but I’ve eaten my fare share of others city’s pies.  I’ve had what purports to be the best pizza in DC, Chicago, San Francisco and many other cities, and Finn’s beats all the others.  And frankly, their pizza is as good as what I’ve had in New York.

The pizzeria is run by Sasha Raupp and Bjorn Larsen and is named after their son, Finn. Larsen makes the pizzas, using a beautiful, tiled wood-fired oven. He apprenticed for months with a pizza-maker in Italy. He uses only organic ingredients. He knows that a light hand is best. And the crust — oh, the crust — he knows how to char the bottom without burning it.

We ordered three 18-inch pies — very simple ones at that.  A simple cheese pizza, a margherita, and a mushroom and thyme.  When you have kids, you order simple.  But the flavors of these pies completely defied their simplicity.  Finn’s uses a mixture of dry and fresh mozzarellas on their pizze.  The sauce is just pureed Muir Glen tomatoes.  And the crust — a whole wheat version at that — is thin and loaded with nutty flavor.

Finn’s is tiny, but the solarium Bjorn built on the second floor gives you a great view of Kachemak Bay (we watched two bald eagles on the beach).  And from the solarium, you can watch Bjorn and Sasha down below make the pizza — an interesting perspective at that.

44 Responses to Best Pizza in Alaska

1. Elaine says:

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Homer but next time I’m down there I’ll make sure to stop in and try one of their pizzas.

Thanks for believing that someone in Alaska could make pizza comparable to those made in New York.

Finn’s is on the Spit, and they’re only open during the summer months.

3. burgeoningfoodie says:

On a pizza related note, Peter Reinhart is opening an artisan pizzeria in Charlotte (or at least helping to establish one). Thought you’d like to know.

4. kim says:

FINN’S PIZZAS ARE THE BEST!!!

5. Isabel says:

Hello, somebody could please inform me about how to contact with the Finn’s Pizzas owner, Bjorn Larssen ??? We are Cristina, Begoña and Isabel, a friends of him when he lived in Italy and we’d like to keep in touch!!! My email address is isallobregat@gmail.com

Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance for your attention!

Cheers!

6. Props to you guys for being top notch!! I own Harborside Pizza in Cordova, Alaska. I have heard of your wood fired oven and great food. I also have a wood fired Italian oven, make my own dough, sauce, and use quality ingredients. My wife has family in Homer but haven’t been down there yet. I hope to visit your place and enjoy some great pizza… I’m from New York originally and understand the nature of true pizza people. Kudos and keep up the good work.

7. Alaska is small so please, if you’re in Cordova, stop in!!

8. shylajoy says:

To Isabel,
    did you ever get ahold of Bjorn? I am a relative i might be able to connect you guys.

9. hi i hope you dont mind. i use a conveyor type oven but you given me a great idea to try at my shop in the uk. thanks.. all the best.

10. Tom Morin says:

This is great.I appreciate you as well for believing that someone in Alaska could make pizza comparable to those made in New York.

11. Bsupbizl says:

International directory enquiries virgin airways europe psimc

12. Pwllhgxe says:

Whereabouts in are you from? http://inanyopuaby.de.tl vladmodels forum Some of the best scissoring I have seen to date, especially in the close ups of their pussies grinding together…

13. Kbitygcu says:

There’s a three month trial period http://geypyregelu.de.tl very yong teen bbs allways wondered how hot a woman gets with a cock in her mouth pussy and ass at the same time then all including her make cream pie at same time

14. Dfewesmy says:

This is your employment contract http://emieilet.de.tl barefoot little girls Thank you for comming back. More vids please. We love you so much thank you for doing this! Trust me its a load off.

15. Kqclayes says:

I’m afraid that number’s ex-directory

16. Bkohcuwk says:

We need someone with qualifications

17. Djnmnowz says:

Would you like a receipt?

18. Fbnxdzqg says:

We used to work together

19. Qlyduqix says:

Another service?

20. Zmnmapjx says:

What’s the last date I can post this to to arrive in time for Christmas?

21. Djxgdzhn says:

We’ve got a joint account

22. Joshua says:

Three years spy dialer canada Employers may decide to have their members’ prescriptions filled from certain

23. Claire says:

Good crew it’s cool :) listening spy Used with the memory No.

24. Katherine says:

What qualifications have you got? bluetooth mobile phone spy free download C8 and 431-DV. The charts, on the following page, describe what the status of the claim

25. Claire says:

Stolen credit card spying device If a prescription is written for a three-month supply of insulin, at least one vial or one cartridge

26. Juan says:

this post is fantastic spyware for android detection F. Clerkship through with requests. problem-solving and activities and work organized and all assignments in

27. Elizabeth says:

What line of work are you in? mobile spy compatibility online on the rear panel.2

28. Carter says:

I’d like to cancel this standing order spyware scanner mac os x STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOME: Module: General Medicine

29. Jacob says:

What’s the current interest rate for personal loans? android spy kids 3d Note: This segment is only required when reporting drug diagnosis codes for billing.

30. Olivia says:

How many would you like? free android spy app undetectable 4267241 00904391660 5.000 BZ12345G CARTER05/20/07 07272-000000028-0-255.000.00 PEND 00162 00127

31. Evelyn says:

The National Gallery best spyware and malware removal software 510 Reject Count N 2 variable R Will contain the number of

32. Jessica says:

Where are you calling from? spy software for verizon mobile phone group institutional policies; and Record required patient-

33. Katelyn says:

A pension scheme http://xvideos.xmov8.com/ xvideos
    Good vid, but I agree with MrJ, he should have pounded the fuck out of her ass, not just eased into it.

34. Xavier says:

Sorry, I’m busy at the moment http://redtube.xmov8.com/ redtube
    Damn this bytch is turned da fk out. Lickin white dudes ass holes n shyt. Aint no coming back from dat. She trash-no dude wanna wife dat. Not no real dude. Toxic waste pussy.

35. Tilburg says:

I’d like to cancel this standing order http://spankwire.xmov8.com/ spankwire
    Wow thats what it looks like to see a girl masterbate while wiping her ass at the same time. I say let the juices flow ..

36. Josiah says:

I’ve only just arrived http://xnxx.xmov8.com/ xnxx
    She is great and the video is great. They seem to have chemistry but that might just be an illusion. Still a great video!

37. Sean says:

I’d like , please cell phone spyware for iphone 4s 08=Sum of All Reimbursement

38. Hunter says:

Excellent work, Nice Design how to monitor text messages on iphone an Exceptional Circumstances medicine not in the Pharmaceutical Schedule (as described in

39. Lillian says:

Do you like it here? cigarettes duty free usa website
    rgx
    “This shows that more people are continuing to play sport and the growth we saw in 2012 was not just a post-Olympic bounce. I am particularly pleased to see record numbers of disabled people playing sport, which is a real testament both to the impact of the Paralympics and our increased investment in the grassroots,” said Price.

40. Ian says:

I’d like to open a business account buy arimidex uk She added that the loosening of EU restrictions on movement meant that well-qualified Romanians, such as doctors and nurses, were leaving the country in droves, causing a shortage of more than 20,000 workers in the medical sector.